Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Cornbread muffins



Sometimes I struggle on this blog with what to share / what not to share. Believe it or not - I don't make every recipe that I make healthier. Sometimes its nice just to enjoy the high fat/calorie/carb-loaded food and call it good. I've debated whether or not to share this recipe because really.... it's not that great for you - but it tastes OH SO GOOD. Obviously I've decided to go ahead and share away.

In my mind, I live by the 80/20 rule. 80% of the time, I make healthy choices, conscientiously plan my meals and exercise routinely. 20% of the time, I eat what I want, enjoy my treats and truly rest on my rest days. I figured it's only healthy to show balance and give an example of what can be included in my 20%.

Growing up, we always had Jiffy cornbread muffins with chili. It's just a natural pairing. I never really knew the potential of tastiness that cornbread could provide until one day I was forced to come up with a recipe that could use up the large amount of corn meal that I had in my pantry. Over the years I've tried many different cornbread recipes. But I've finally landed on one recipe the won hands down. It's a sweeter version of cornbread but I welcome everyone to try it (as part of their naughty 20% of course)!

Cornbread Muffins

1/2 cup butter, softened
2/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup honey
2 eggs
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup milk
3/4 cup frozen corn

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cream together butter, sugar, honey, eggs and salt in a large bowl. Add flour, cornmeal, and baking powder and blend thoroughly. Add milk while mixing. Add corn to mixture and combine by hand until corn is worked in.

Grease a 12-cup muffin pan and fill each cup with batter. Bake 20 to 25 minutes.

Per muffin:
244 calories
9.3 g fat
37.4 g carbohydrate
1.2 g fiber
4.0 g protein

No comments:

Post a Comment