Monday, February 21, 2011

Balsamic Chicken with Roasted Vegetables



Do you ever come across a website and you think to yourself.... Really? Am I just now finding out about this website? How have I survived this long without knowing about it?!?!?!

That's how I felt when I came across Gina's Skinny Recipes at www.skinnytaste.com . Honestly, there are some awesome recipes on here with lots of flavor but not a lot of fat and calories. Expect to see many variations of Gina's recipes on GBFMB in the future.

A few weeks ago we were having a babysitter come to watch our daughter so we could go for a night out. I wanted to have dinner ready for the sitter but didn't want to have to be slaving over the stove up until she got there. So I decided some sort of chicken and roasted vegetables would be the winner. I could prep everything ahead of time, throw it in the oven and have it be ready shortly after we leave. I searched the internet and fount this recipe on Gina's Skinny Recipes. I didn't have those exact vegetables on hand and I used four 4 oz. chicken breasts instead of chicken thighs, but the idea is the same.

The end result was awesome! I had leftovers for lunch a couple days after the original meal and it was so tasty. The chicken was very tender and all the vegetables were very flavorful. Great way to use up some extra vegetables in the winter time.
Balsamic Chicken with Roasted Vegetables

four 4 oz chicken breasts
2 russet potatoes, scrubbed and cut into 1" cubes
2 carrots, peeled and sliced into 1/2" slices
3 celery stalks, chopped into large chunks
1 large onion, chopped into large chunks
1 bell pepper (color of choice) cut into large chunks
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 tsp sugar
salt and pepper
1 Tbsp dried rosemary
2 cloves garlic, smashed and chopped
1 Tbsp dried oregano

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Wash and dry the chicken well with paper towels. Combine all the ingredients together and using your hands, arrange in a very large roasting pan. (I arranged the vegetables in a 9x13 pan and the chicken in an 8x8). The vegetables should not touch the chicken or it will steam. All ingredients should be spread out in a single layer. Bake for 35-40 minutes.

Makes 4 servings. Per serving:
309.8 calories
8.5 g fat
29.2 g carbohydrate
3.9 g fiber
29.1 g protein

No comments:

Post a Comment